Friday, March 5, 2021

Telling Fibs in Third Grade

Fibonacci, a mathematician who lived during the 1200s, developed a number sequence named after him. Each number is added to the previous number to get the next number: 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 and so on. 

Author Greg Pincus invented the “Fib” form of poetry, in which each consecutive line has the same number of syllables that appear in the Fibonacci sequence. The students wrote their own. Here are some of their creations:


love 
cupcakes 
They are so 
yum. I really love 
them so much; they taste so awesome!
- M.A., Rm 18 


love 
my fam-
ily and friends. 
They're very nice to 
be with on special occasions. 
- O.L., Rm 17 


Grass
is 
so good.
Goats love it, 
so we have to too. 
I knew it is good because munch! 
- K.B., Rm 17


Light
is 
brighter
than the dark.
So be bright at night.
Always be bright, never be dark.
- D.D., Rm 18


Life of tomatoes
Good
food
Tasty
Nutritious
Delicious flavor
Vegetables beat that! Boom boom boom.
- H.B., Rm 17


A
dog
is cute.
It plays fetch.
My dog brings back the
ball. My dog loves to eat my food.
- C.C., Rm 17


I
like
to play
with my cous-
ins and play gameboards
with my family and have a blast!
- L.B., Rm 17


Books.
Wow.
Read on
the soft ground.
Lots of history.
Figure out a large mystery.
Go to the library and have lots of fun reading.
- M.J., Rm 17


cat 
she sat
drinking milk
outside on its mat.
The cat sat and napped dreaming of
chasing mice in its cozy house. During the night time,
she woke up with a startle to find the mouse was really there on the rug the whole time.
- C.S., Rm. 17


Run
run
climbing
up the hill
now down the mountain.
Hip hop hooray. Fastest person!
- S.S., Rm 17



1 comment: