Wednesday, February 10, 2021

In Other Words ... with Grade 4

Fourth graders are practicing their paraphrasing skills. First we worked together to come up with synonyms and ways to recast a sentence.


source: https://thesaurus.plus/synonyms/in_other_words
ORIGINAL: The automobile that went by very quickly was maroon. It went through a big puddle and splashed us.

NEW: The car flashed through the puddle and got me soaked. 

NEW: We got soaking wet when a car splashed through a puddle. 

 

 

ORIGINAL: The educator removed the unruly student from the learning environment because of the sounds he was making

NEW: The rude student was kicked out of school because he was making noises.

NEW: The teacher was distracted when the student was making a terrible commotion in class, and they kicked him out. 

 

ORIGINAL: I remained awake until the wee hours, absorbing broadcast entertainment. At the present time, I am lacking energy.

NEW: I stayed up late listening to the radio, and I'm tired.

NEW: I'm tired because I stayed up too late watching TV. 



Then they worked on an individual assignment, putting the following sentences into their own words:

During my earlier years, I experienced much conflict with my male and female siblings who were born before me. Now that we are more mature, we have overcome some of our differences and have the ability to interact pleasantly.

Here are some of the new sentences the students came up with:

Back when I was a kid, my older siblings didn't get along with me. Now that I'm older, we now respect and love each other - A.M.


When I was young, I got into fights all the time with my older brothers and sisters. Now that we are older, we don't fight anymore and get along nicely. - D.P.


When I was younger, my older sister and I didn't get along too well. Now that we're older, we get along much better. - G.S.


When I was younger my siblings and I fought. Now we are older and we are mature, we have a nice time together. - G.Z.


When I was younger I fought with my older brother and sister a lot. Now that we are older, we get along and enjoy each other. - L.S.


When I was younger, I often used to fight with my older brother and sister. As we got older, we realized we may not always agree and get together often. - M.R.


When I was a kid I would fight with my older brother and sister. Now that we are older we get along better. - N.C.


When I was four years old, I had many arguments with my older brother and sisters. Now that we are older, we are able to get along with each other and not argue. - R.R.


When I was younger, my brothers and sisters and I always fought over silly things. Now we are older, we have worked out all our problems! - S.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment