Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Whoosh!

source: chrisbarton.info
The annual Rhode Island Children’s Book Award (RICBA) goes to the book selected by students in grades 3-5 as their favorite from a list of 20 nominees.

Students who read 3 or more nominated books may vote in February, and students who read 5 or more qualify to participate in the Rooster Games (more info on that to come). To give everyone a head start, I'll be reading a few of the shorter nominees to each class. 

One of these shorter books is Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions. Most kids enjoyed the story; here are some reasons they gave: 

  • It had facts and true things.
  • You can use your imagination to make lots of stuff.
  • I want to invent one day.
  • In the summer I can play in the pool with my siblings and we soak each other.
  • It had good pictures.
  • I like engineering and water guns.
  • It tells you should never give up.
  • The main character was a really smart kid.
  • It was about inventing and I love making stuff and coming up with cool ideas like Lonnie Johnson.
  • It taught me about another human's life.
  • In summer I use the SuperSoaker all the time.
  • I love science and want to be a scientist, so it was so cool!
  • I like real stories.
  • I enjoyed Lonnie's creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment