Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Telling Fibs in Room 18

Counting out syllables.

We discussed number patterns in third grade, and I introduced the kids to the Fibonacci sequence, named after a mathematician who lived during the 1200s. In the sequence, each number is added to the previous number to get the next number: 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 and so on.

Author Greg Pincus invented the “Fib” form of poetry, in which each consecutive line has the same number of syllables that appear in the Fibonacci sequence. Since it's National Poetry Month, we practiced writing our own poems. Here are some of the students' examples ... feel free to share one of your own in the comments!




Class poem:
To
sleep,
you need
a monkey.
Collaborating.
So count to 20
and drink some warm milk, microwaved.


Kitten
A
small
kitten
loves to drink
warm milk in her bowl
next to her mother on the bed.
- S.S.


I like My Nose
I
like
Cracking themselves up.
my nose.
It's so big.
It loves to wiggle.
The nose is really hairy too.
- J.M.


"Help!"
Parts.
Parts.
More parts.
Makes robot.
Robot is moving.
Help! Robot has lasers! Whyyyyy! Help!
- K.S.


Bobby Joe
Hi,
my
name is
Sharing poems.
Bobby Joe,
and I can count to ...
three thousand two hundred fifty.
- E.G.


Mad.
Mad.
I'm sad.
I'm punching.
I will try not to
punch you ... I will probably not.
- M.F.


Mac and Cheese Goodness
Mac
and
cheese is
very good
for your and your brain
and tummy too. You should eat it.
- W.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment